Did you know that tile has been around for more than 4,000 years? Stunning decorative tile was found in some of the oldest pyramids, the ancient ruins of Babylon and throughout the ruins of many Greek cities. By the time it surfaced in late 1800s, tile was only used to beautify important public buildings and for homes of the wealthy. Lucky for today’s homeowners, tile is both luxurious and affordable for anyone looking to add a touch of beauty to their home.
How to Choose the Right Tile
With all the advancements that have revolutionized the tile industry in recent years, knowing what to choose can seem overwhelming. If you’re looking for the right tile that matches your taste, lifestyle and budget, here are some tips.
Tip #1 Discover the types of tile.
- Ceramic and Porcelain: Durable and versatile, both ceramic and porcelain tile are easy to clean, perfect for moisture-rich spaces like bathrooms and heat-filled rooms like the kitchen.
- Glass: Resistant to water, glass tile is an excellent choice if you’re looking to reflect color and light.
- Natural Stone: Long lasting, this offers a timeless beauty and character you can only get from natural stone.
- Metal: For an industrial, modern feel with an incredible sense of craftsmanship, metal tiles give your home a level of customization other products can’t match.
- Terra Cotta: Ideal as a backdrop, terra cotta gives a sense of warmth, simplicity and antique beauty.
- Additional Choices: From mosaics, to leather, wood and more, you can explore and mix and match materials for truly special walls and floors.
Tip #2 Analyze your needs.
Selecting the right tile isn’t as simple as going to a showroom and choosing the color or pattern. First, understand how it will be used. For moisture-rich spaces like the bathroom and kitchen, you avoid porous tile and go for vitreous or impermeable instead. Your floor will need tile that’s durable with more flexural strength. Countertops need tile that can resist a lot of impact and acid. Polished tiles are for walls and backdrops because they’re easy to clean.
Tip #3 Know your color.
Only you know the color that’s right for you, but you should know some basics:
- Dark colors add warmth
- Light colors can open up a space
- Neutrals let you do more with accessories
- Vibrant colors make a statement
- Varying shades help mask and blend
Tip #4 Choose the right grout
There are tons of color options available today for grout. in a wide variety of colors. It’s recommended to use one that matches your tile so the lines disappear. For a more dramatic look, use contrasting colors makes individual tiles stand out.
Tip #5 Know how to order.
Once you’ve decided on a tile, be sure to order from the same lot and shade numbers. Tiles that weren’t fired together can look vastly different. Have a professional help you determine the quantity you need. You’ll want to multiply the width and length of the space, adding 5 -10 percent for waste.
When it comes down to it, choosing the right tile is all about personal taste and lifestyle, but working with a professional is the best way to achieve the look you’re going for. These are just a few tips to introduce you to the exciting world of tile, but an expert can help you get down to the details. There’s so much beauty to discover!